Glenfiddich was one of the only distilleries to actually increase production during the prohibition period in america during the 1920s. They believed demand would be high once Prohibition was lifted … and they were right. Glenfiddich was able to meet the massive demand, while others failed
The Glenfiddich Distillery
tel - +44(0)1340 820373
web - www.glenfiddich.co.uk
Tours through The Glenfiddich Distillery - available Monday to Friday all year round. Tours are free. Connoisseur's tour also available by booking in advance. £20.00
How to pronouce Glenfiddich? glen-fiddick
Glenfiddich is the most famous whisky distillery and brand in the world. The distillery is located on the outskirts of the town of Dufftown in the Speyside region. The name is taken from the Glen Fiddich Valley where it lies and means 'valley of the deer' in Gaelic. This explains the origin of Glenfiddich's famous stag logo. The water needed for production is taken from the Robbie Dhu springs, which flow in to the River Fiddich. The site has grown to be massive so as to meet the worldwide demand for their spirit. It has a capacity of 10 million litres per year, making it Scotland's largest distillery, and has a staggering 29 stills, 45 warehouses for maturation and its own cooperage, coppersmith and bottling centre. Much of Glenfiddich's world domination of the single malt market is due to their innovation. Glenfiddich was the first distillery to consistently bring single malt whisky to the international market in the early 1960s, the first single malt to be sold in a travel retail shop at an airport in 1963, the first to open a visitor centre to the public in 1969 and the first single malt to sell over 500,000 cases of whisky in a calendar year. Following early successes, other distilleries followed Glenfiddich's strategies. Now, Glenfiddich is sold in nearly 200 countries and accounts for nearly 35% of all single malt sales in the world.
When William Grant and his family began construction of the Glenfiddich distillery in 1886, they cannot have imagined the massive success that it would become. William Grant had learnt the whisky trade during 20 years at the Mortlach distillery and total construction costs were £800. £120 of this was used to buy two second hand stills from the Cardow Distillery (now called Cardhu). All of the stills that are currently operating at Glenfiddich are exact replicas of these originals, so as to maintain the original quality and flavours. They had early success, leading to the building of Balvenie on neighbouring land. William Grant & Sons was formed in 1903 and the distillery currently still owned by the fifth generation of the Grant family. The whisky produced was used in blends including its own Grant's range, which was started when a large client went bankrupt. In 1957, the iconic triangular bottle was first introduced. It was designed to stand out on the shop shelves and is now considered a design classic. The move into the export and travel retail markets led to a massive growth in Glenfiddich's popularity. The company built Kininvie Distillery in 1990, on land next to Glenfiddich and Balvenie, to produce spirit for their blends. Therefore, now 90% of all whisky produced at Glenfiddich is bottled as single malt.